Thursday, September 3, 2009

Almost Home, Sweet Home

Okay, so it's been two months since I last posted. Nate and I have been in Hawaii for exactly 6 weeks now. So much has happened since the last time I wrote I can't even begin to tell you, so I'll show you some of it.


Our new home as seen from Punchbowl/ National Cemetery of the Pacific


The trees at the National Cemetery were awesome! They all looked like this.

The windward side of the island


And now for the gross-out factor, just in case there are some of you that think living in Hawaii is perfect. It's pretty close, but sometimes there are the bugs to contend with. These are dried up roach egg sacs that were crusted all over the inside of our closets when we moved in. I spent most of a whole day cleaning these out before I could unpack our stuff. I almost lost my lunch. Eww. But, a lot of scrubbing later, it looks great now and, knock on wood, I haven't seen a roach in the apartment yet.

And, since I can't leave you on that nasty note, or none of you would come and visit us, here's us at my favorite beach. Really, this beach is perfect. We've seen an occasional Portuguese Man of War each time we've gone, but it is so beautiful not even those will keep us out of the water.


Things are going great. Nate has started school and we're all settled into our apartment. The only thing left is for me to get a job. Wish me luck! (unless any of you have contacts in Hawaii, then send me names and phone numbers!)

5 comments:

Whitney Hardie said...

I love that last photo! I can't wait to come visit you guys and go swimming in your extra special ocean.

Karen said...

What exactly is a Portuguese Man of War?

Deb said...

A Portuguese Man of War is kind of like a jellyfish. It's got a clear "sail" with long dark blue tails that sting.

Katie said...

Love the pictures! Yuck yuck yuck about the bugs. I don't do well with bugs in the house. But someday I will come and visit you anyway!

Merrill said...

Did I mention that we miss you guys!?
(this is Karen, fyi)