Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Optical Illusion

This will blow your mind.  At least it did mine.  Look at the picture of the spinning dancer below.  Which direction is she spinning?

Spinning Dancer.gif

Some people see her spinning clockwise and some counter-clockwise.  Here's the description from Wikipedia:

The Spinning Dancer is a kinetic, bistable optical illusion resembling a pirouetting female dancer. Some observers initially see the figure as spinning clockwise and some counterclockwise. Additionally, some may see the figure suddenly spin in the opposite direction. The illusion derives from an inherent ambiguity from the lack of visual cues for depth.  


 I can only get her to change directions if I stare at the bottom foot.  Even then it takes a while.  Crazy.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That is strange. She went counter clockwise for me at first and then suddenly changed. After I read you comment on how you can make the direction change, I tried it and it worked.

Katie said...

I just can't get her to change directions! (and it might be frustrating me a bit...). Weird. I get how it works but I just can't get my mind to see it the other way.

Katie said...

Woah. I just looked at it again and she switched on me! This is trippy.

leinani45 said...

AMAZING!