Friday, May 24, 2013

Birthday 2012

Don't worry, the title is not a typo.  On Wednesday Nate and I finally got to go out and have the little birthday adventure I'd been scheming about since June of last year.  It might have something to do with the love of my life working two jobs and being the bishop of our ward.  And my dear friend being super sick and not able to babysit Manu on the few days he did have off.  Maybe.  I feel I've dealt with the situation with remarkable patience. (We won't mention that I'd practically given up on it)


But Wednesday everything finally came together.  The day was perfect - not much wind, clear skies, calm water.  So we went sea kayaking!  It was amazing!   We started off at Kailua beach and paddled out to the Mokes (Mokulua Islands). These two islands (Mokulua means "twin islands") are part of the Hawaii State Seabird Sanctuary, but you can land on the beach of the left island (looking from shore) and look around.


Here's some pics from the adventure:

paddling out

On the beach at the Mokes (rhymes with smokes)

(Katie, this one is for you) this is a nesting Shearwater.

Looking back toward Lanikai beach


The second island 





It was so perfect, I told Nate this is what I wanted to do every year for my birthday.  Can't wait to go out again!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Nate's expression in the last picture! So glad you finally got to go! Be glad you are doing all those fun things now rather than when you are too old to paddle for 1 1/2!

Katie said...

Thanks for the bird picture! What a perfect day!

Whitney Hardie said...

Love these pictures. Looks like you guys had a great time. Did you see any other cool birds?

Deb said...

The bird sanctuary is specifically for the shearwater and there were lots of them nesting in little burrows on the ground. I didn't notice any other types of bird, but I'm sure there were some others hanging around. I'll have to check what they are next time we go out.

Karen said...

Happy birthday Deb!! So glad your long awaited adventure came to fruition!